Friday, December 26, 2008

How I Spent My Christmas

while all of you were probably still dozed off from noche buena hang over, i was driving myself and my sister to the hospital. no, i was not hit by a stray bullet (thank God) nor did i lose a finger from a firecracker incident. I was diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux disease and a bacterial infection in my upper respiratory tracht.

sucks really. it did not make it better that since it was dec 25, the outpatient department of chong hua hospital was closed, so we had to go to the emergency room to be attended to. we got there quite early, so the floor was still rather deserted. after some poking and prodding, i had ECG and CBC. the ECG machine looked like this:

it had suctions that the nurse placed all over my chest. it also had cold iron clamps placed conveniently around my wrist so i wasn't able to take a picture of my self ECG'd. ECG was followed by CBC:

this one was great, in a morbid kind of way. the nurse took so much blood, the most i think anyone ever took from me. immediately, i remembered he Cullens. hehehe... after she finished, the nurse mumbled a "Merry Christmas" and went away. probably not a greeting you should throw around patients in emergency rooms.

poking and proding revealed i had ERD. CBC revealed i had the bacterial infection (same as my sister's) and ECG revealed nothing more.

it's really great i just finished Seasons 4 and 5 of Grey's anatomy before i had this trip to the hospital. that way when the doctor at the desk asked me if i wanted to see an intern or the resident gastro doctor, i knew clearly what she meant. i mean, hey! that's like asking if i wanted Lexie Grey or Dr. Miranda Bailey to check on me... haller. (or as how you say it these days, Baler!)


so now i have a total of 42 pills to down in seven days. seven days from now, i go back to work. tsk tsk tsk, so much for the dream vacation of frolicking on the beach. now, all i can think of is getting hydrated, and staying away from coke.

i spent the rest of my christmas day contemplating gym membership with banne. we toured fitness first in ayala and was this close to signing up. the place looked great, but i don't know. i have a feeling i don't want to be a slave to physical fitness. we ended the night walking the IT park blocks 3 times. that killed our feet.

anyway, Merry Christmas! don't get sick.

1 comment:

banne said...

bago ra ko kita ni dr. oz...which means a renewal of my fervor for exercise and after 6. kitakits sa metrosports uyaberz! get well really soon! :*