Tuesday, November 02, 2004

something fishy

I bought a fish. A goldfish. I have always wanted one. Her name is Petunia. I love her.

UPS was supposed to volunteer to this Feeding Program in Zapatera, but it was canceled on the last minute. So I had nothing to do for a whole morning. I decided to put into action my long overdue plan of buying a fish. I asked Jason and Ogdoc to come with me to SinHiaPing (I’m not sure with the spelling). They agreed and so off we went.

SinHiaPing is an old Chinese district in Colon renowned for its aquarium-type fishes. If you are planning on making an aquarium for a project, do not go to the malls to buy materials. The Cebuanos have long known the secret of cheaply priced fishes in SinHiaPing. Almost anyone I know with an aquarium got the fishes from there.

I bought a fishbowl for P80, fish food for P5, hydrilla for P2, and Petunia for P15. Neat, huh? Of course, these were all haggled prices, except for Petunia. The guy we bought her from was impervious to Ogdoc’s business talk. Oh well. I’d like to believe that you can never put a price tag on love. Well, maybe you can but the price is nonnegotiable.

Ogdoc and Jason urged me to buy a pair, but I wanted only one. I think that’s the point of an aquarium. If anything, it means solitude.

On our way home, we found a fish struggling for its life on the sidewalk. I grabbed it and looked for where to put it. A girl told me to just put it back in the bucket with the other fishes. Jason was confused why the fish jumped out of the water. I took a quick glance at Petunia inside the plastic bag.

I was really concerned if goldfishes can live on mineral water. I kept on asking the vendors if they do, all said yes. But I doubted them. After all, they were there for business. When I got home, Jason helped me put her in the bowl of mineral water. Petunia, God bless her heart, is still alive.

No comments: