Monday, November 11, 2013

Repacking Best Practices

Click for a big picture
I've seen how relief goods are being repacked all over the city and I think efficiency can be improved. Even the Philippine Red Cross near Fuente says it's having a very hard time with repacking. I'm not the best Process Engineer, but I have a simple 3-step process proposal for repacking relief goods. There are so much donations coming in, but if we don't address this crucial part of the relief operations, it will just be a bottleneck.


You can tweak the process however way you want. Obviously, variations on this process will depend on the number of volunteers you have and what kind of final product (relief box) you are thinking of. I think we will have to get inputs from those who are really on the field to know which configurations work best when handing out packs to those who need it.

I also think the Segregator role can still be improved. I imagine it might be a bottle neck, and I'm willing to give that role to the donors themselves. As long as the Segregator's flow does not go in the way of the Packer, it should be fine.

Process Improvement Engineers, please help of ways to improve this please.

No comments: